Friday, November 11, 2016

Day 1

Well here it is, day one of the blog challenge.

Today, my goal was to focus exclusively on the task at hand and honestly, I did better than I thought I was going to do. It almost deemed to be an impossible goal to accomplish because of the number of distractions I get on minutely basis. These distractions usually include messages I receive from groups and individuals which I usually respond to as soon as I see,  diverting my attention away from the task at hand, however, today was different.

Today was remembrance day, a day when we honor our fallen soldiers from deployments past, present,  and  future. I was tasked with fulfilling general duties downtown all day, from 6:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Amazingly enough, I was busy for the entire 12 hours without any, let's say major distraction. At the start of the day, my phone was put onto silent, as directed by my superiors in the morning briefing. Before I left for my tasking, I took a quick peek at my phone, and of course, No one is awake at 6:30 so there really isn't much new. For the next 6 hours, I remained busy until lunch came. I had 15 minutes to grab some chao before I had to get back to my tasking. The few times I was distracted, it was actually by people who joked with me, taking probably 20 seconds out of my day each time, but i wasn't going to say no to a short conversation so I went with it. As soon ask I was relieved from my duties, I decided to reply to the messages that have been accumulating that day.

Today would not have been the most optimal day to do this challenge because there was no easy distraction to pick up on. I honestly think the day would have the same outcome without the challenge on the back of my mind, however, If I were in school today, I would have limited myself from many basic distractions. I would have been more efficient throughout the day because my attention wouldn't be swaying back and forth, increasing the amount of time required to complete the task at hand.

from a broader perspective, I did manage to be on task all day however I did not force myself to do so rather, I never got the opportunity to get distracted. Im sure the day would definitely have been different if I were actively trying not to be distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment